Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fiddleheads Nature Class

Phew! First, getting to the UW botanical gardens stresses me out, but I did it. Thank you Google Maps navigation. Or really I don't know if I want to smack Google Maps or kiss it. Anyway, we got there.

We attended the Fiddleheads Falling Leaves and Changing Seasons class. First thing I noticed Lily is the oldest kid by at least two years. Oye. Although several parents told me they really appreciated having an older kid in the class. Lily was clearly the leader of the pack. Screaming answers to everything, etc. I was worried that she might be taking away from the other kids, but I talked with the teacher after and she was also appreciative of having an older kid there. So, we are welcome back anytime.

Here's a little breakdown of what happened...

1. They had stations set up for kids to go between. Painting, sensory, reading, math, etc.
2. Circle time introductions and the theme introduced.
3. Nature hike with magnifying glasses!
4. Story time/snack by the water under a tree. Amazing.
5. Build a leaf pile and jump in it. Bury the teacher in it and then each other. Seriously.

This naturalist/scientist from the UW that runs it deserves every penny she is making. Totally impressed.

Now for the few pics I managed to take...


Lily getting buried in leaves!


Buckeyes



Leaf Burial


Duck Party


Tree stamp painting


Sensory Bins


Investigating mushrooms




No comments:

Post a Comment